Jen


This dark skinned beauty is one to keep your eye on with her fun involvement with media, live events and charity work. Jen is an outspoken young lady with a great love for Africa, if she is not hosting her show, you can find her working hard on her other projects or pinning away on Pinterest :)


What do you celebrate about being a woman?

In the past and also nowadays, in some countries women don’t have the right to speak and express themselves. Today I live in a country where, as a woman, I am able to think, talk, write and live on my own terms. I am proud and celebrating my being a woman because I know that we are fighters. Without important Women like Nana YaaAnsante waa from Ghana who fought for us we would not be where we are now.

I can work in different kind of jobs without getting strange looks from others, e.g. in a hospital as a nurse, as an engineer or event as Chancellor (like Angela Merkel ). I can express different kinds of feelings where ever I am, even in public!

The biggest thing is that I can carry a life inside of me and give birth. 
We women are fighters because sometimes in terms of a career we have to work harder to get to the same level as a man.
Women are strong and responsible. 
Even whilst going through a hard time, we never forget that we are a wife, a sister or a mother.
 I read a great quote:

                  'A woman is the backbone of a family, society and nation.' 

I totally I agree with this statement.





What do you wish other women knew?

We need to know that we can learn from each other. In addition to this, if we don’t want to do something: we can say NO without feeling guilty. We can define ourselves without letting another person do it.

We should learn how to repair broken things at home or how to change a tire so that we don’t depend on other people. We should make ourselves and our own needs a priority. We should know how to examine our breasts. I wish women would know how to speak their minds whether in job or in bed.

How do you express yourself creatively?

I am not a person with an obvious talent. My talents are in writing my thoughts down. Therefore I originated a blog called "Frolicious" where a good friend of mine Dunja and I blog about African urban lifestyle.I also love planning different events with my charity project "Rastafairys 4 Africa" which I set up with the actress Cosma Shiva Hagen
In the past I wrote poems. I am good at solving problems for other people or finding solutions. I like surprising my family and my friends.


How are you making a difference in the world?

Making a difference to the world may seem like an enormous task, but the size of the contribution is not what matters most. The key here is to have the heart to do it. I read another quote: 

            “Nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something.” 

That's true.

One of my motto's is 
                           “To receive, you must first give”.
 I try to give happiness and love. I am not judgemental and give everybody a chance. I like to get to know people and don’t judge them at the first sight. I am able to help people by encouraging them if they need it.

I like taking control and responsibilities of my actions. I am not a person who complains or whines the whole time. I am a person who thinks about the situation and about the possibilities to change it. I am not afraid of leading people or make decisions.

I never give up if it seems impossible to reach the goal. Sometimes it annoys other people but it also sometimes encourages others to grow with me. 
I always have an aim and I always work on towards my goal. Somebody told me that I am able to carry people with my enthusiasm and that it is never boring with me.


What do you believe is your calling and what are you doing about it?

I think my calling is to help other people that’s the reason why I am director of a charity project and also CEO and Founder of Frolicious where I write about my experience with natural hair. I am trying to help people to avoid the same mistakes I did. In addition to this I am a good listener and very empathetic.




How do you celebrate where you come from?

I was born in Hamburg,Germany but my parents are from Ghana.Although I don’t look mixed I am in my soul.

I like wearing African prints like Kente from Ghana. Every time I get to talk with other people from Ghana I celebrate it.
Twi is a great language and I am happy that I haven't forgot it all. I like being around people, it doesn't matter where they come from to learn from them or to change life experiences. At the end of the day the person is more important than where they are from.

What do you consider to be the biggest obstacle you have had to overcome?

I have to accept that I can't change or do everything by myself.I need help and I have to be patient sometimes.

Check out her blog Frolicious!
You can also watch Jen on Afrika Outlook , enjoy her natural hair page Frolicious or follow her on twitter @rastafairys or @rastafairy_jen .
She is also on instagram! instagram.com/jenmartensworld

1 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Got FOMO?

Congratulations! You failed.